This cornbread comes together quickly, is gluten-free, vegan, and high in protein, made with versatile chickpea flour. A topping of zucchini adds moisture, which keeps the cornbread fresher for longer, along with late-summer flavour and meaty texture. Pair traditionally with chili (con carne or veggie) or a big pot of soup for a healthy, crowd-pleasing comfort food dinner.
Gluten-Free Skillet Cornbread with Zucchini Recipe
A healthy cornbread recipe made with chickpea (garbanzo) flour, cornmeal, coconut oil, and fresh zucchini. It’s savoury, a touch sweet, and slices up wonderfully. It’s also high in protein and fiber, and is vegan to boot, made without eggs or dairy. Serve this up with a big pot of chili con carne, vegetarian bean chili, or homemade soup.
½ cup fine cornmeal, plus extra for skillet
½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (xanthan gum-free)
1 tbsp coconut sugar or granulated sugar of choice
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1½ cups water
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for skillet
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 small or 1 large zucchini, sliced into very thin rounds (about 1/4-inch)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8- to 9-inch or so cast-iron skillet or round pie plate with a little oil, sprinkle with a touch of cornmeal, roll around to evenly coat, and tap out extra.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine chickpea flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, gluten-free all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add water, oil, and vinegar to the chickpea flour mixture and whisk until fully incorporated. Pour batter into prepared skillet or pie plate.
- Starting from the outside and working inwards, arrange zucchini slices, overlapping as you go. Carefully place in oven, keeping a steady hand to avoid spillage. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes (or 15 to 20 minutes without zucchini on top–it cooks much quicker), until a toothpick comes out almost clean, with some crumbs clinging onto it. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into wedges (use a serrated knife for the cleanest slices).
- Store leftovers, covered, at room temperature for up to 1 day.