The recipe makes two cakes, one more than you actually need. One cake is used for the Ginger Cake Trifle with Apple Cinnamon Cream, the other, these gorgeous petit fours/cake pops. This recipe is gluten free and vegan, so everyone can enjoy them this season.
Petit fours are usually quite fussy to make, which is why I use the cake pops method – sans stick. Like truffles, adorn and decorate to your personal taste. Chopped roasted hazelnuts, diced candied ginger or a whisper of chipotle chili powder would, as the kids say, make these lit.
To repurpose the second cake, I’ve created individual trifles layered with a cheater’s pastry cream made with apple cider (photo below, recipe here). The cream can be easily adapted, made dairy free and vegan to echo the cake.
Spicy bites of ginger cake fudge covered in chocolate and topped with snowflakes of sea salt make for the ultimate food gift. Package one or two up to gift, or keep them in your freezer for petit four emergencies. Sometimes, a punchy bite of spice cake in a dainty package is the only thing that will do.
Use the second cake for the gluten free Ginger Cake Trifle Recipe with Apple Cinnamon Cream
- ½ recipe (1 cake) Gluten Free Ginger Cake
- 1 to 2 Tbsp whisky or apple cider or orange juice
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- Crumble cake into a large bowl and mix in 1 Tbsp whisky, cider or orange juice. Squish mixture into a ball; if it doesn't hold together, add a bit more liquid. Firmly pack into a 12-count square silicon ice cube tray, or roll into balls and place on a parchment-lined plate. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil over a double boiler. Reserve.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Remove squares from silicon ice cube tray by bending container and place on prepared baking sheet, or add balls to prepared baking sheet. Top squares or balls with chocolate, letting it drip over the sides; sprinkle with salt. When chocolate is set, refrigerate airtight up to 3 days.