I shared my weekday breakfast go-to recently, a quick, sweet-leaning whole grain muesli (overnight oats) that feeds you well in a hurry, but I prefer my weekends more relaxed. Coffee is poured (into actual mugs, not KeepCups), music is soft and food is savoury.
Halcyon eggs coaxed into a soft scramble, strewn with coral gravlax (which you can buy or make or replace with smoked salmon), shreds of basil, fresh lemon and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper all rest atop toasted rustic sourdough bread.
An avocado toast recipe is endlessly versatile. It’s a blank canvas that can be enjoyed at anytime of day, making for a substantial breakfast or brunch, filling lunch, or light dinner. On this variation, scrambled eggs and cured salmon add protein, healthy fats and flavour, while basil delivers a smack of freshness. As for the toast itself, choose a local, full-flavoured rustic sourdough bread, which you can keep fresh forever (well, a long time, anyways) in the freezer sliced and stored airtight; no need to defrost, just toast one slice at a time.
Enjoy this simple but satisfying meal with endless coffee, and complete your weekend however you see fit.
Find today’s recipe below, then try something new. From minimalist to highly decorated, here are more avocado toast variations I’m loving from around the web:
BLT Avocado Toast from Heather Christo
Smashed Avocado Toast with Soft Boiled Egg from Donna Hay
Your New Avocado Toast Recipe from Bon Appétit
Mexican Grilled Corn Avocado Toast from How Sweet It Is
11 East Ways to Fancy Up Your Avocado Toast from The Kitchn
Japanese Inspired Avocado Toast from i am a food blog
The Best Avocado Toast You’ll Ever Have from A Cup of Jo
- 2 small or 1 large ripe avocado, room temperature, pitted and thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain almond milk or whole milk
- ¼ tsp salt, more to serve
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 leaves fresh basil, sliced
- 2 slices gravlax or smoked salmon, torn (optional)
- 2 thick slices rustic sourdough
- ground black pepper, to taste
- lemon wedges, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- Have plates warmed and avocado sliced – this comes together quickly.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk and salt.
- Toast bread.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet, add eggs and mix with a silicone spatula for 10 to 30 seconds, until almost set but still very soft. Remove from heat and stir in basil and gravlax or smoked salmon and add back to turned off element for a second or two just to warm through. Immediately top toast with eggs, avocado, salt and pepper. Serve with lemon and hot sauce.